Payne Elementary School
Located in the southeastern region of the nation’s capital on C Street, Payne Elementary School has served the local community and students in pre-school through 5th grade in Ward 6 for over a century. Built in 1896, the original 83,800 sq. ft. building lost roughly 15,000 sq. ft. after a fire. Despite that setback, it still shines as the district’s flagship school for deaf, hearing impaired and special needs children.